Wednesday 4 September 2013

The transfer merry-go-round

By: Trevor Twohig


Is anyone else confused about the dealings in the transfer market? The media circus reached its heady crescendo on Monday night with only three stories of any real interest.
Number one, Gareth Bale moved to Real Madrid. Shock horror this one. Moving swiftly on to number two, Man United dare I say it, paying well over the odds for Maroune Fellaini. It is hardly the statement that Moyes wanted to make at the beginning of his tenure, surely? Yes he knows the player well, but has everyone forgotten Fellaini’s headbutting incident at Stoke last year? An unproven player at the top-level seemingly, with a short fuse. Risky business for Man United and smacked a little of desperation for me.

Finally, Arsenal’s signing of Mesut Ozil to smash their transfer record. Did I miss something here? Were Arsenal fans desperate for Wenger to sign yet another midfielder? Granted Ozil is a top class player and I hope he does well. I am just interested to see how he will slot into a midfield alongside Santi Cazorla, Jack Wilshere, Aaron Ramsey et al.

Rosicky’s playing out of his skin and let us not forget the returning Mathieu Flamini from Milan to bolster the squad. Interesting times lay ahead for Arsenal and Wenger has indeed papered over the cracks with a big money signing. But the lack of a world class striker and a lumbering central defence will prevent them launching any sort of title challenge, methinks.

The most outrageous transfer story has to be found at Upton Park though in my opinion. After months of trying to lure Andy Carroll to the Boleyn, it finally happens to rapturous applause from large swathes of West Ham fans, including me. Great signing for us and things were looking splendid at the start of the transfer window.

Then came Stewart Downing, another good Premier League player who I think will do well for us. But this cost the whole of our transfer budget and took player wages to the top-level; the eyebrow-raising £70,000 a week for Downing, being the nail in that particular coffin.

Did Gold and Sullivan not think earlier in the window we would need to offload some of the fringe players? Was it not patently obvious that if we are trying to build towards a utopian future at the forefront of English football (the Olympic Stadium is a Grade 4 UEFA stadium, don’t you know!), then some of the old guard would need to be moved on? Clearly not.

As such we have Matty Taylor, Ricardo Vaz Te, Modibo Maiga, Alou Diarra and Stephen Henderson who should not get anywhere near our first team with the aspirations we have. Don’t get me wrong, I am grateful for the service from the likes of Taylor and Vaz Te, but are we a club looking to survive at the bottom or push for the top half?

I appreciate I may be getting slightly ahead of myself here, we have only been back in the Premier League for one season. But in the same breath, we don’t have a striker! Allardyce hopes that Carroll may play some role in the Southampton game. Alarm bells here anyone?


Back in the Building: Carlton Cole's return is imminent

As I was working myself up into quite a state regarding the transfer debacle, I thought to myself, ‘If only we still had trusty, loyal Carlton Cole to turn to…’ and lo and behold, he is in negotiations to return. As Big Sam comes to the table, tail firmly between legs, I will dust off my ‘Sex, Drugs and Carlton Cole’ t-shirt and pray, just pray that Andy Carroll can get fit.

No comments:

Post a Comment